As Bird states, “skin, hair, bones, blood, fingernails, [and] feces” have all been used as mediums of art making. Tim Hawkinson is a fine example, because he uses his fingernail clippings and this own face for all of this figurative artwork. Body as medium was a gateway to the big idea of performance art in the 1960’s and artists like Marina Abromovic and other worldly famous performance artists.
I have never tried to my body as medium other than self-portraits. What if I used my hair to make paper in fibers for printmaking work and seeing the texture the hair makes on the printed image? What if I took a little of my blood to show passion and the full circle of “life” in my creation and destruction concentration? How about using my face and makeup to express the alterations and changes a woman making to feel accepted in today’s society?
No comments:
Post a Comment