The idea for body as surface has been around since Egyptian times.
And the idea of transforming the idea of “tattooing or branding” into fine art
emerged from it and also the idea of what branding your body says conceptually
about to work. By having this alternative surface
for an artist's work brings up many questions about by putting this image on
your body, what does it say about the image its self? By placing this image on
a canvas in a gallery, what the meaning change?
I have never been a fan of tattooing artwork and words on my body. I believe the body is a beautiful work of art alone and by tattooing only cheapens that beauty and elegance. That being said, I believe there are many other ways I could see my students being able to use their body as their surface. I could see teaching a lesson about identity and they would be able to alter their appearance (with washable or add on materials) to allow the rest of the student body to see the student as the student sees them self. What if the students made t-shirt to express and disable their artwork? What if the students used their bodies to expose unknowing information about their sex/gender that doesn’t meet the “surface”?
No comments:
Post a Comment