Monday, February 4, 2013

Multiple Viewpoints


Before multiple viewpoints were an acceptable view in art making, Bird states that linear on point perspective was the widely used and accepted form of painting. Cubist painters like, Picasso and Braque challenge that idea of painting only being "a window onto the world". They thought it as an ability to trick the viewer into figuring out what they are looking at and where they are looking. Once the public world brought the idea of multiple viewpoints into art making, photographers started to play around with the idea as well. 

Although my medium of choice is neither painting nor photography, I believe I could be able to incorporate the idea of multiple viewpoints into my printmaking work. While I am working with color reduction prints, the idea of layering each color onto the next shares the idea of changing the view with each color added to tell the story. The idea is that each layer could be hiding a different view that the previous color exposed. What if I had my students do an exercise on their self-portraits in different views to understand how to draw different views correctly. Or I had my high school students do a unit of the multiple views students have while going through the difficult years of high school? 

No comments:

Post a Comment